Looking to purchase new off road tires? There is a wide selection available in the market today from baddest to biggest tires and best-looking to multi-purposes tires. However, there are numerous aspects you should consider before making a final decision. Here is a comprehensive mud tire buying guide. First there is the tire aspect and then your terrain/condition.
A mud tire is either Bias Ply Off Road or Radial. A radial truck tire has more advantages as compared to bias ply off road tire. Actually, most manufacturers have stopped producing bias ply off-road tires, with just a few exceptional. However, Bias tires come with some pros and cons when it comes to off-road conditions.
1.Bias Ply Off Road Tires
They provide unparalleled performance in server off road situations like deep mud, jagged rocks, and rough trails. Their tread is made to self-clean while releasing mud or foreign objects with much ease to help in maintaining traction. The rubber compounds are softer to offer better grip. Furthermore, the tire sidewalls come reinforced to resist damage.
However, these tires have some shortcomings. The wear and ride characteristics of the bias on pavement are slightly poor. These tires offer an uncomfortable and noisy ride on high-speed streets and can’t last for more than 30000 miles. While these tires will offer excellent Off Road performance on low air pressure, the center tread still takes a beating.
2.Radial Truck Tires
The radial truck tires are effective on harsh terrains. They perform exceptionally great in off-road situations. These tires are built with adaptability in mind to offer better road handling features; even you drive at very high speed.
Their traction, smooth ride and handling on paved roads are great.
Choosing the correct tire size can be a bit tricky since the size is dependent on several factors. The first question is whether your truck can handle the tire size you want. You should also check for possibilities of modifying your truck to suit the tires you want to buy. Unfortunately, customization and modifications of your truck may not be possible.
Generally, you should choose a tire that will perfectly fit on your truck without any need for modifications.
General Guidance in Choosing the Best Mud Tires
Before settling on a particular tire, you should ask yourself the following questions.
1.What type of work will you be doing with your truck?
2.How much off-road and on-road will I drive?
3.What qualities do I need in a tire – appearance, quality, traction, durability, performance?
4.How much money do I have?
After getting the answers to all the above questions, you will settle to one or two tires where you have to make an ultimate choice. You choice should also be influenced by the tire type i.e. all-terrain mud tires, all season mud tires, and Extreme truck tires.
Mud Tire Classification
All season mud tires are not designed to go off-road since their tread composition and design are not designed to tackle Off Road beatings. However, they offer long-lasting tread that performs well on dry and wet paved roads. Nearly all stock cars come fitted with all-season tires. These tires are presumably the most effective way to go. They may not have an aggressive look, but they are a bit affordable and offer more miles than some aggressive tires.
All-terrain tires are defined by versatility. These tires can be used on a wide variety of terrains, but they aren’t a master to any! This reason explains the broad range of all-terrain tires based on either on/off road performance. Most of all-terrain tires are designed with off-road qualities in mind – then modified in particular areas to enhance street performance. The result is a mud tire that can tackle everyday driving and average Off-Road conditions. All-terrain tires will not perform excellently in extreme conditions as compared to customized Off Road Tires; although on the road these tires provide excellent longevity and even wear.
3.Extreme Mud Tires
The extreme mud tires are designed for mud terrains, sand, rock crawling, and deep snow. These tires are built with aggressive tread patterns that reach the sidewalls, huge lungs bearing deep voids and then reinforced sidewall to provide grip on all surfaces while lasting for long. The extreme mud tires came as bias ply or radial, but they perform excellently in a low pressure. These tires combine durability, puncture and cut resistance features. They can offer much mileage even when driving at high speed. However, these tires are very noisy due to their large size.
All Terrain or Mud Terrain Tyres?
Quick Mud Tire Buying Checklist
4.Tire design (Radial/Bias)
If you need more information on mud tire buying guide, you can watch the video below. Take all the information on this site as authoritative since thorough research has been done to come up with fine details. We hope you will enjoy the choosing process.
Top rated mud tires for sale
- Carlisle A.C.T ATV Tire - 26x10R12
- Key Features • Brand: Carlisle. • Model: A.C.T. • Item Weight: 22.8 pounds. • Section Width: 26 inches. • Aspect Ratio: 26. • Construction: Radial. • Rim Diameter: 12 inches. • Speed Rating: C. • All Conditions Tire. • 3-Ply. • For ATVs, side by side, utility vehicles, and fun karts.
- Our rating :
- General Grabber AT2 Radial Tire - 255/70R16 111S
- Key Features • Brand: General Tire. • Model: Grabber AT2. • Item Weight: 40.2 pounds. • Product Dimensions: 30.1 x 30.1 x 10.1 inches. • Section Width: 255. • Aspect Ratio: 70. • Construction: Radial. • Rim Diameter: 16 inches. • Load Index Rating: 111. • Speed Rating: S. • All-terrain tire for light pickups, jeeps and SUVs. • Five-row read pattern featuring multiple traction edges. • Extra-deep tread pattern. • Highly-engineered acoustics to ensure lower road noise. • Meets RMA and RAC severe snow service standards.
- Our rating :
- ITP Mega Mayhem Mud Terrain ATV Tire 28x9-14
- Key Features • Brand: ITP. • Model: Mega Mayhem. • Item Weight: 33 pounds. • Product Dimensions: 29 x 29 x 14 inches. • Section Width : 28 inches. • Aspect Ratio: 9. • Construction: Bias. • Rim Diameter: 14 inches. • Tread Depth: 1.50 inches. • Same winning benefits and features of the original Mayhem. • 6-ply rated to ensure puncture resistance. • Tread pattern offers surprisingly smooth drive on hard pack roads.
- Our rating :
- Maxxis M918 Bighorn Tire - Rear - 26x11Rx14
- Key Features • Brand: Maxxis. • Item Weight: 32 pounds. • Product Dimensions: 26 x 26 x 11.9 inches. • Suitable for dirt, desert, and rock terrain. • Extra lugs on the shoulder guard the rim and sidewall. • Raised white lettering - one side. • 6-ply rating. • Radial construction offers better shock absorption to provide a smoother ride.
- Our rating :
- Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ Radial Tire - LT265/70R17 121Q
- Key Features • Brand: Brand. • Model: Baja MTZ. • Item Weight: 53 pounds. • Product Dimensions: 31.6 x 31.6 x 10.5 inches. • Section Width: 265 millimeters. • Aspect Ratio: 70. • Construction: Radial. • Rim Diameter: 17 inches. • Load Index Rating: 121. • Speed Rating: Q. • Tread Depth: 18.5 inches.
- Our rating :